Don’t be intimidated by the name. Gastrique is a traditional French sauce, similar to a hot and sour sauce. It makes a super simple, versatile addition to pork dishes (think: pork chops, pork tenderloin, and even schnitzel…). It’s also great with chicken.
- 1/2 c vinegar (red wine, champagne, balsamic etc)
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries and mango all work well)
- optional – 1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Combine ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20 min, stirring occasionally. It will thicken after it cools. You can use an immersion blender and chinois for a smoother, more refined version. I usually keep it simple and rustic, because it takes less time.
Serve it with a simple grilled pork chop or sliced pork tenderloin seasoned with salt and pepper.
Play around and get creative. Some of my favorite combos include:
- balsamic vinegar/cherries with pork chops
- red wine vinegar/raspberries with pork tenderloin
- white wine vinegar/blueberries/jalapeno with pork tenderloin
- champagne vinegar/mango/jalapeno with chicken paillard