Two little ones at home means my slow cooker is getting some action these days. I can’t say I love many slow cooker recipes, but this one is a favorite. I like the shredded chicken and it’s reminiscent of tortilla soup. Best of all, it takes 10 minutes to prepare.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 26-oz box chopped or crushed tomatoes (I prefer the Pomi brand)
- 14-oz can cannellini or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb ground cumin
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 2 4 ounce cans mild chopped green chiles
- Approx 4 cups chicken broth
- Sea salt to taste
Add all ingredients to slow cooker, adding the broth last so you can adjust the volume as needed to fill your slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to the broth and season with salt.
Serve with chopped avocado, a fried egg, and chopped fresh scallions or cilantro. If you’re eating dairy, add some shredded monterrey jack cheese.
So easy. My other favorite thing about this recipe? It makes a huge batch and freezes well.