Cast Iron Frittata
This recipe adapted from Throwback Road incorporates your choice of veggies and a dozen eggs to make an easy crowd pleaser brunch, or even dinner. I like to serve this with potatoes and a light salad.
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 onion or leak, chopped or sliced finely
- optional – 4 organic corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup fresh or roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced zucchini, yellow squash, or asparagus
- optional – 1 cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- 1 dozen eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium heat (this one is my favorite from Lodge). Add coconut oil and onion, and saute until translucent. If using, add tortilla and cook for another 5 minutes. Then add red pepper and additional vegetables, and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile whisk the 12 eggs and optional cheese, and season with salt & pepper. Pour the egg mixture on top of the vegetables and let the edges set for 5 minutes, undisturbed. Then transfer to the oven for 20 minutes. The center should set before you take it out of the oven.
To comply with Whole30, leave out the cheese and tortilla.
By the way… the leftovers are great.