This rich, chocolaty shake is both satisfying and nourishing. It’s full of magnesium, antioxidants, fiber and healthy fats.
- Cacao provides a good dose of magnesium, along with antioxidants.
- Cashews are also rich in magnesium and other minerals, along with healthy fats and protein.
- Hemp protein provides magnesium, iron, zinc, protein and fiber.
- Chia seeds provide some much needed fiber and omega-3s.
- Dates are high in fiber, potassium, calcium, B-vitamins including folate… and, you guessed it, magnesium.
I always encourage the use of organic ingredients. In the case of cacao powder, I recommend buying with caution as there are some reports of lead and cadmium contamination in both raw cacao and cocoa. This tends to be better with cacao nibs than with powder. While cacao isn’t terribly high in caffeine, it also contains theobromine which may be too stimulating for people with anxiety. So enjoy it in moderation.
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2 Tb chia seeds
- 2 Tb cashew butter (or 1/4 cup raw whole cashews*)
- 1 Tb raw cacao powder or 2 Tb cacao nibs
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tb plain protein powder (I use Nutiva’s organic hemp protein)
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- optional: top with sliced banana
*ideally when you’re using whole nuts, it’s best to soak them in filtered water with a pinch of salt for 4-8 hours. Drain and rinse before adding to your blender.
Using a high-speed blender like Vitamix, blend all ingredients except ice. Then add ice and blend again until smooth. Enjoy cold.
Read more about picking a protein powder here.
This recipe was inspired by the Vegan Peanut Butter Cup Shake from The Detoxinista.