This recipe is from Diane Sanfilippo’s Practical Paleo and is reminiscent of french toast. I like that it’s heavy on the egg, with no added sugar and very little coconut flour. These make a perfect breakfast or snack on the run.
- 3 organic green apples, chopped (skin on)
- 3 Tb water
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 Tb grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 9 eggs
- 3 Tb coconut or almond milk (from a carton)
- 1 1/2 Tb coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- pinch of sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large skillet, saute the apples, water, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and butter or coconut oil. Cook until the apples soften and reach the consistency of apple pie filling. Remove from pan and allow to cool before adding to the egg mixture.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, baking soda and salt and whisk until combined. Add the cooled apples.
Spoon the mixture into a lined muffin tin (I like these) and bake for 40 minutes.